Saturday, August 18, 2012

Review: The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

Title: The Future of Us
Aithors: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication date: November 21st 2011
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble


It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present. 
(Summary from Goodreads)

Review:

I had been itching to read this book for quite some time now. The summary seemed really interesting and my "kind" of book, but sadly, the "book high" (you know... when you're still all hanged-up from the story and keeping imagining alternative endings or scenes) didn't last as long as I expected. *SIGH*


My pity party lasted for a WHOLE DAY!
Here's why.
Our main characters Emma and Josh are waaaay back in 16 or so years ago, where internet was just starting out and they had to use those dial-up connections. Suddenly, Facebook pops out of nowhere and Emma and Josh are able to see their profiles at present day. What starts as innocent curiosity was immediately killed by the mixed up feelings cat, tumbling Emma into all sorts of unhappiness...

It's gonna take curiosity a lot more to kill this one.
While the story started out pretty good, and I really liked the original concept and story background, I found it a bit too... lacking. I felt like there wasn't a real depth to the story. The characters seemed shallow and superficial, although I do appreciate the sudden change of heart at the end and they learned the valuable lesson that a person will never be happy unless they live the moment. At least that's what I got. Emma seemed really selfish and she started to get crazy with the whole future thing, trying to change it too much. Josh on the other hand, was a pretty chill character. I almost feel bad for him for being stuck with crazy Emma. Overall, the book is a pretty OK, as long as you're not looking for a "serious" read that'll keep you up all night.


If the book didn't keep you up, Maybe this will!!
Rating:


3 comments:

  1. Emma was nuts. I had a hard time sympathizing with her, and at times, I wanted Josh to seriously move on.

    I wished the Facebook Plot Devices at least added a deeper conflict to the story, other than Emma realizing that she really wants to be with Josh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks this! It seems weird, but the way I understood it, the story was about if Emma liked Josh or not. The whole Facebook thing was just an add-on. But to be fair, it did have a moral life lesson! Haha! :D

      Delete
  2. I HATED EMMA. Like 95% of the book I want to bang my head because of her shallowness. *spoiler* And seriously, Josh chose Emma over Sydney?! I don't know what Josh sees in Emma. Or maybe b*tch and sl*ts are really just his type. -_________-

    ReplyDelete