Monday, August 5, 2013

Review: On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

Title: On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street #1)
Author: Samantha Young
Pages: 322 pages
Format acquired: Paperback
Publisher: NAL Trade
Publication date: December 31st 2012
Source: Borrowed from Louisse
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble



Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare…

Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.

Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.

But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.

(Image and summary taken from Goodreads.)

Review:

Whew. I am speechless.

But first, a backstory.
If you've all noticed, I don't really read much books on the "New Adult" genre. It's not the don't knock it 'till you try it kind of thing because I have tried reading some before. And yet, it was all the same for me. I felt that it was too obscene. Like the characters were made for hooking up or just meeting and then proceeding to have sex. There was no point in the book. Rather than being a story with sex, it was sex with a *super teensy* story. Hence, I had no care for these books. I'll take bubblegum teen romance with 400 pages of no sex but pure romance over 500 of sex escapades with a really weird plot over any day, thankyouverymuch.

Having said that, I was a teensy bit reluctant when Louisse showed me this copy. I thought it would be too "mature" for me. (hah. I'm a prude in certain ways) but boy, was I wrong! The first few pages shocked and intrigued me. I was so caught up in the story that I knew I just had to go on. I'm a sucker for emotionally troubled people who find the light. And here I was, rooting for the all-too-familiar protag again. Here's why:

Let's start with Joss. I don't know exactly why, but I find myself relating to her problems. I guess like her, I tend to run away from the truth and problems, hoping that they will go away on their own. While I haven't dealt with any immediate family losses (thank God), I tend to not let myself get too attached with people. I have this irrational fear of being left out of behind, so I really don't bother to get too close with people. I kind of see my problems take form through Joss and I saw a little of myself in her. She's a fighter- in both good ways and bad. I really like her witty and sarcastic-attitude-ish personality. Sure, she can be cold and rude at times, but you can't expect everybody to be like a Stepford wife, no? We all have our moments. I actually find it super sassy. Go Joss!

Branden, on the other is hand is all such a dreamboat. Though his possessiveness is borderline obsessive and a little creepy, I'd have to admit. Nothing is sexier than a man who wants you for himself. I'd rather have someone a tad bit possessive than someone who doesn't care at all. He really struck me as the guy who knew what he wanted and went to great lengths to get it. His attraction to Joss made me laugh, really. It was so instant! But to be fair, it is common for men to be attracted almost instantly to a woman. It's just their nature. He reminds me of a very sexy, smoldering suit-clad man who knows just what to do. Oh wait, he is. Brilliant.

And it not just the two of them too! The other supporting characters really shaped the plot well. They added more "life" to the story and had their own so On Dublin Street isn't just some one-track-mind love story. It has the whole romance feel all throughout. Miss Young also has her way with words. The story pulls you in their world and you're able to kind of go what they're going through. Here's a little equation to help you understand better. Good Plot + Good Author = Happy Reader!! The only thing I didn't buy as well was the fact that the instant Joss saw Braden, it was an instant thing. I mean, sure I'd believe it on Braden's part but not so much on Joss. Considering that fact that she hasn't been that active in the dating scene for FOUR years. I find it a little hard to believe that Braden was able to break that record after a mere 5 minutes of meeting him.

But all in all, I'd recommend this book to any hopeless romantic out there (and those who are not, in hopes of conversion). SUPERLY AWESOME AND FANTASTIC JOB, MISS YOUNG! Kisses from the PH! XX

Rating:
.5

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, despite being of age, I still feel it's inappropriate for me to read books with such genre. Haha. I'm a kid heart though I have read a few romance novels of my mom before and they're all written in a very romantic way. The story has depth and not just about the hookups. I also agree that a lot of books now are revolving on that which is pretty, um, weird. Well, since you gave it a 4.5 I think I'll add this on my TBR! :)

    Arra
    Style Reader

    ReplyDelete