Sunday, September 22, 2013

Review: Taste by Kate Evangelista

Title: Taste
Author: Kate Evangelista
Pages: 259 pages
Format acquired: Paperback
Publisher: Crescent Moon Press
Publication date: April 30th 2012
Source: Purchased from the author (Thanks, Kate!)
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble



At Barinkoff Academy, there's only one rule: no students on campus after curfew. Phoenix McKay soon finds out why when she is left behind at sunset. A group calling themselves night students threaten to taste her flesh until she is saved by a mysterious, alluring boy. With his pale skin, dark eyes, and mesmerizing voice, Demitri is both irresistible and impenetrable. He warns her to stay away from his dangerous world of flesh eaters. Unfortunately, the gorgeous and playful Luka has other plans. When Phoenix is caught between her physical and her emotional attraction, she becomes the keeper of a deadly secret that will rock the foundations of an ancient civilization living beneath Barinkoff Academy. Phoenix doesn't realize until it is too late that the closer she gets to both Demitri and Luka the more she is plunging them all into a centuries old feud.
(Image and summary taken from Goodreads)

Review:

I love zombies. Like, loooove zombies. From the Carrie Ryan zombies to the ever evolving zombies from Resident Evil, I just have a soft spot for them. But Kate Evangelista's zombies? I may never settle for missing limbs and shambling again. It's always so refreshing to read books with a different take on the common mythology. Kate Evangelista will actually make you fall in love with a zombie. Join the club!

Right from the very beginning, I already liked Phoenix. She was a little spitfire but there was also a vulnerable side to her. I can actually imagine how crazy it must have been discovering there was a secret society of flesh-eaters that also studied in the same school as you. If you really think about it though, that's the premise of an exciting story, no? Reading about Phoenix's first impression of the Night Students was thoroughly entertaining and it only made me want to learn more about them. You what they say, curiosity killed the cat... but satisfaction brought it back. Another thing I liked about Phoenix was her tenacity, even though she knew that there was a chance that she might end up as someone's dinner, she still went for it anyway. And that was awesome, I mean who wouldn't want to read about a protagonist who was a total rebel? Everyone wants that, it gives the extra "umph!" to the story and Phoenix gave a lot of that.

No matter how much I enjoyed the book, there was one thing I hated about Taste... Kate Evangelista just had to make me choose. I mean, seriously? Demitri or Luka? Where's the "both" option there? The two are literally the exact opposite of each other, but I'm sure that they do share one thing in common... they are both very passionate. Demitri has that whole broody and mysterious thing going on while Luka gives off that naughty and carefree vibe but you just know that there's something dark lurking underneath. *locks both guys in my boyfriend closet* What noise?

There was a whole different world in Taste and I was amazed at how well-constructed and detailed it was. It's a world that you'll want to come back to -- all the time. There was something so magical and enthralling about it, the world of the Zhamvys. Taste isn't just all about the romance and the awesome world-building, there was the perfect amount of drama and intrigue that will really leave the reader wanting more. There were political strifes, crazy exes and even crazier bad guys, what more could you ask for?

Kate Evangelista brings us a fresh and succulent novel that will leave your mouth-watering and your body hungering for third, fourth and fifth helpings of Taste. Every single chapter of this book is filled with so much excitement that you will seriously never want it to end, I know I didn't. I can not wait to read more of Kate Evangelista's works because that woman has thoroughly impressed me. *applauds* *holds out plate* More, please!

Rating:
.5

2 comments:

  1. I actually read this last year and loved it! I'm gonna have to agree with you about having to choose between 2 guys lol Can't she just have both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Louisse! It had me laughing for minutes! Though I haven't read this book yet, I am sooo adding it to my to-be-read list! Its premise sounds so interesting and I always love a story with two guys (so the other one I can keep for myself!)

    ReplyDelete