Saturday, January 30, 2016

Review: F*ck Love by Tarry Fisher

Title: F*ck Love
Author: Tarryn Fisher
Publication date: December 31st 2015
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble



Helena Conway has fallen in love.
Unwillingly. Unwittingly.
But not unprovoked.
Kit Isley is everything she’s not—unstructured, untethered,
and not even a little bit careful.
It could all be so beautiful … if he wasn’t dating her best friend.
Helena must defy her heart, do the right thing, and think of others.
Until she doesn’t.
(Image and summary taken from Goodreads)


My thoughts:

When Tarryn Fisher announced that she was writing a novel called F*ck Love, my curiosity was immediately piqued. Combining that with the insanely vague blurb, angsty cover and mysterious release date, I was yearning for this book. So when Tarryn Fisher randomly released the book on December 31st, I devoured it in a span of a few hours, only to find out that F*ck Love would introduce me to a whole new aspect of Tarry Fisher and her writing.

I'm going to be honest and admit that the farther I got into the book, the more apprehensive I became of it. I was shocked by the difference of Tarryn Fisher's writing style from her other novels; but half-way through F*ck Love was when everything clicked for me. The writing truly embodied and fit Helena Conway's character (kind of like method writing, I guess). Tarry Fisher's prose changed from angsty, dark and seductive to a more whimsical, odd and trippy style of writing. Being in Helena's head was crazy (which is really typical Tarry Fisher), she made a lot of analogies with Harry Potter (which I loved), took even more selfies with insanely awesome names and her chapter titles were all in hashtag form. But more than her craziness (and her awesome yet confusing topknot), she was genuinely a great person. I adored seeing things from Helena's perspective and I honestly felt that she was under appreciated (especially by her friend, Della). I absolutely loved seeing a whole new side to Tarry Fisher and her writing, it was fun and such a great experience.

It all started with a dream... literally. The whole romance between Helena and Kit (#Kitena?) started when Helena dreamt her future life with Kit and then everything got all kinds of weird after. I liked Kit, I didn't love him because I felt like he was too typical sweet, kind of mysterious book boyfriend but he was a great guy to Helena. He was kind of her rock, in a way. He pushed her to find herself and even if it was the Dream Kit that influenced Helena, it still counts (haha). 99% of the time, I just want to smack him and tell him to go and break up with Della, but really, things weren't that simple.

While majority of the book was quirky and fun, it wouldn't be written by Tarry Fisher if it didn't have some semblance of angst, so yeah, it did. I have no particular comment on it other than I'm sad it happened but fine that it did. #karmaisabitch

All in all, I really enjoyed F*ck Love. I was unused to this new and happy style of writing but Tarry Fisher definitely knows how to make a novel her own by reminding you, in some way, that this book is still hers and you shouldn't get too comfortable. I had fun, I laughed, cringed, laughed even more, giggled a bit and got my heart a little broken but I survived (which is more than I can say when I read Mud Vein). F*ck Love is a great read and I recommend reading all of Tarry Fisher's other books before reading this one because you'll depress yourself, in a good way, reading them and this one will definitely make you feel better.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment